Monday, September 15, 2008


Help me…Mr. Raj Thakeray !!!
When you announced your decision to launch a separate political party of your own, I was among the many happy Mumbaikars who was your ardent supporter. I had expected a fresh breeze of youthful ideologies from your party. Alas!! Even you fell into the same political trap into which we are seeing the rulers of the nation today. Your desire to reach the top has held the state to ransom. Even you have dashed my hopes.

Well to start with, I am South Indian, who is born and brought up in Mumbai. And I proudly proclaim that I am in no ways a lesser Marathi Mulgi than most of them. I speak flawless Marathi. I have taught the language to many Maharashtrian students, bagged many academic awards for topping the language in the state. I can challenge you that my Marathi is far superior than most of the people of Marathi origin. I love Maharashtrian food the most and I cook it well myself. Though I am native of Kerala, all my loyalties lie with this state and I don’t need to prove that to anyone. I have an emotional attachment with everything that I have received from here. Whatever I am, whatever I have achieved, I owe it to the state and I proudly say that I am from Maharashtra and I belong here. No one can take that away from me.

Coming back to your ideology, Mr. Raj, I agree with them to a great extent. Yes, we must stop the influx of migrants into the state since the city is already bursting at its seams and many security issues have cropped up along with it. I was also highly miffed with Mrs.Jaya Bacchan for all the statements that she had made on stage. I reacted the same way a true Maharashtrian would have reacted. But all that ends there sir. I do not support the hooliganism propagated by your men. Breaking shops, damaging goods, beating up innocent people is in no way justified and trust me sir, you are losing your credibility as a leader among the people. The youth today is looking up for a leader who will bind the society well and not one who will divide and rule.

Just-in-case your party feels that there are no greater issues than the issue of “Marathi Manoos”, let me bring few very small but important issues to your notice. About the recently concluded, Ganesh Festival: there are unspeakable things happening around the same time. In case you are not aware sir, duing those ten days I have seen a lot of gambling happening inside the pandals. Men drink and make merry in front of the idol. The day of the visarjan is the worst because I have seen most men in inebriated condition making lewd passes at women and vulgar music and dance being exhibited on the streets. I guess our dear God needs a better farewell. What say, Mr.Thakeray??. And let me tell you that most of these men are “insiders’ and not “outsiders”. What can you do about them? Or are they excused for the sheer reason that they are ‘insiders”. Everyday we are harassed by the rickshaw drivers who do not want to travel short distances and make us wait on the streets endlessly hoping to catch one. Again, many of them are “insiders”. How can you help with the security issues in the state, developments required in terms of infrastructure? Why don’t you fight for the endless suicides happening in Vidarbha which is not a part of Bihar or is UP but our own Maharashtra? Why don’t you encourage your men to patrol the city of Mumbai and see to it that we save our city from the tentacles of terrorism? Why don’t you ask them to fight against corruption happening in all government departments across the state? Yes, having Marathi signboards outside shops alongside English ones is important, but is that more important than the issues listed above? And cant these issues be sorted out in a more human way than resorting to street culture. My city is very accommodating sir. Everyone lives here in harmony and peace. Let’s try and improve upon that. We need this unity to fight terrorism which has engulfed our country at the moment. People all over the world know Mumbai for their spirit and unity. Please do not take it away from us. Throw away people who do not respect our state, those who create problems here, involved in terrorist activities, but leave the hard working people alone. There are people who are here to earn their bread and butter. Please show them some respect.

I am sure sir….you are not going to disappoint me. Can you help me since I am a Mumbaikar??…and a true one at heart!!!!

No comments: