Tuesday, January 02, 2007





Chance encounter with a Technical Writer

I resumed work today after a long break of 20 days. Was feeling the blues since the time I woke up in the morning. I was wondering if I would actually have some work to do today since there was no project in the pipeline. My usual colleagues were all transferred to different places and I knew I would be there all alone without anyone to talk to. With all that in mind, I boarded the bus today to my place of work. As I entered the office, I was greeted by new faces and longed to see the old ones again. Nevertheless I sat back on my good old chair and started my day with best thing I could do. Checking mails!!! Nothing much to check actually since I was regularly checking them even while I was on leave.

I was just wondering what to do next when by chance I happened to sight a document on my desktop. It read as “Newsletter”. Out of curiosity I opened the same and it happened to be a newsletter of some Technical writing firm. I thought why not read the same. That’s when I chanced upon an article by Mr XXX( name withheld). I was so impressed by his article that I thought that I should get in touch with this person. I was sure that he could definitely give me insights into Technical Writing. Fortunately, he had mentioned his email id below the article written by him. I immediately sent him a chat invite and waited for his response. Wasn’t I thrilled when I got an immediate response from him?

I was a bit apprehensive of how to start the conversation with him. I thought he might be this big guy with a typical techie attitude. But was I surprised or what!! He started asking me general questions about my interests and hobbies just to know me better. In the midst of our conversation we realised that we have a lot of things in common. Our native place, our language etc. All that put me in the comfort zone. I was totally at ease with him. He gave me some really good tips about Technical writing. He encouraged me to update my blogs everyday with whatever I could so that I never lost touch with my writing which I had. Though our conversation was really brief, I could gather a lot of information. He signed out by encouraging me to get in touch with him as and when I needed. That’s all I needed to start my day.

I did pay heed to his advice and started writing for my blog. And yes I did realise that I still haven’t lost touch with my writing and it was only my apprehension that stopped me from writing. I don’t know how to thank him (should I call him my mentor?). Hope to get in touch with him soon.

No comments: